Friday, November 9, 2012

Angry Birds: Star Wars - Could It Get Any Better?



This is epic. You take Angry Birds, which is addicting, challenging, and strangely reminiscent of Scorched, and combine it with the most popular and well-loved movie series of all time... Angry Birds: Star Wars edition. I have not been this excited in a while!

I love video games & computer games. I thought everyone knew this, but when I expressed my joy over acquiring a free Xbox to one of my closest friends, she said, "You like video games?" I guess I've been doing a better job of hiding my geek side than I thought! 

A lot of people see gaming as a waste of time - and if you are neglecting your responsibilities to play them, yes, they have a downside. But as a recreation to do in your free time, there is nothing quite like the thrill of figuring out a new game, conquering new levels, and challenging yourself to do better. I see the positives: hand/eye coordination, therapy for the elderly, exercise, and it can sometimes be used to make connections with those who have autism, or a communication disability. I recently read an article that said computer games can be good for kids - in today's society where everything 'has to be fair' or 'everyone wins', computer/video games make no discrimination... you win, you lose, and you challenge yourself to try again. 

The new Angry Birds SW has some awesome background scenes and the characters will bring a smile even to the non-die hard Star Wars fans. The Luke Skywalker bird (shown above) has lightsaber capabilities, Obiwan has a force field, and Han can shoot stuff out of the way before he lands. There are even a set of bonus levels to unlock where you get to find out the special capabilities of the R2D2 & C3PO birds. *Spoiler* One of the things I got a kick out of was when the Darth Vader pig laughs at you when you fail a level... who knew Vader was a Bad Piggie?

If you have a mobile device, I believe you can download it for free, but for those of us on PC, you can download a demo version here. Seriously, do it! You'll have a blast, not only because it's good fun, but because of the nostalgic warm feelings you get from seeing your favorite space heroes turned into catapulting fowl on a mission. 

Now, my goal is to get three stars on every level...

No comments:

Post a Comment