Friday, November 9, 2012

Wheel Of Fortune, Personality Style

Ok folks, I am back! Since I didn't write a post yesterday, I'm going to do double today.



Ever wondered why some people "bring the party"? And others you don't even notice when they are around? Why some people never shut up... or others clam up? All of this is part of our individual patterns of personality, or type. Lots of people think that by labeling people by type, we are putting them in a box, or simply writing them off, but it's not true. The people who get into personality typing are more fascinated that there are so many ways people can handle things, such as social situations, personal relationships, even job placements. It is learning how you react to things, how your friends react to things, and how to bridge the gap that might be keeping you from some great opportunities. 

I was introduced to personality typing through the book Please Understand Me II by David Keirsey. I was pleased with how straightforward and "un-boring" it was. I was also pleased that most of his philosophy was in line with my Christian worldview, so I didn't have to dig through all the psychobabble to find basic facts. His theory is based on the MBTI, and it divides people into four categories, sixteen subcategories. It helps you decide whether you are introverted/extroverted, how you handle decisions, what you do under stress, and how you perceive the world around you. I find the whole thing amazing, but if it's not your cup of tea, I understand that too. Someone I am close to is really not into it, and that's ok - because I understand that most people with that personality are a little leery of having people analyze them.

For myself, I read the book when I was fourteen and it changed my whole life. I finally realized that I was not a freak, that it was ok to be exhausted after spending time with people, and that I have a very particular way of dealing with problems. I also began to understand how I needed to interact with the people around me so that they would realize that I valued them and how to communicate with them in a way that was productive and pleasant for both of us.

I am an INTJ Rational (I have this irresistible urge to write 'And I sea food differently.' Thanks, Red Lobster.) I will be writing posts occasionally about personality, Rationals, and also have a little fun with how we perceive the stereotypes. However, let's not lose sight of the fact, that while we are all human, and our personalities do follow one of four patterns, every single one of us is different. Every person has a distinct set of idiosyncrasies, and that is what makes us unique - each life is valuable!  

If you would like to take the free online personality type test, click here (11/15 I changed the link to a more specific test). It is a much shorter version than the one in the book, but it should give you a general idea of your type. If you do, please comment & let me know what your type is! If possible, I will try to write a post about your type, or direct you to someone who has written one (probably better than I can!). You can also explore the Keirsey website for a lot of information and articles about your type specifically. 

Until next time!




7 comments:

  1. I used to be an INTJ every time I took one of these tests. This time, though, I'm an ISTJ. I guess I've changed...
    Fun test. :-) I'm really enjoying your blog! Keep it up!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Beth! Would you do me a favor & try out this test instead? I think the Keirsey one was too general & it made most people SJ! I've linked the new one in my post, but you can copy & paste this into your browser as well -

      http://similarminds.com/cgi-bin/newmb.pl

      Delete
    2. The new link didn't work for me. It just takes me to a blank page.
      I went ahead to similarminds.com and took the jung test. Is that the one I was supposed to? I came out ISTJ again.

      Delete
  2. It said I was a guardian ... I had to laugh ...
    ~Pidgen
    {Obviously I'm in a strange mood today -- that's the 3rd personality I've come up with on that test ... I think that's saying something. lol.}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pidge ~ try out this test & see if it's more consistent. I think the Keirsey one was a little too general. And maybe you're just a chameleon :)

      http://www.bagtheweb.com/b/jJRtcw

      Delete
  3. INTJ. That's what the other tests (http://www.bagtheweb.com/b/jJRtcw) have labeled me, so I was surprised when the Keirsey test said I was an ISTJ. Have I changed, or does the test provide a different opinion? Whatever the case, it was fun to take yet another personality test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While a person's type can change due to having a close balance of both sides (in your case, your sensing/intuition), I noticed the Keirsey test was not very specific & typed everyone else Guardian as well... Try taking this test - I've changed the link in my post because I liked it much better!
      http://similarminds.com/cgi-bin/newmb.pl

      Delete