Saturday, November 10, 2012

Peanut Butter and WHAT?

My Mom and I went on an adventure today. We weren't 100% sure where we were going, or whether it was the right day, but we set off with high hopes and a worn out map. I have a serious problem with direction. If the sun isn't shining, I have no idea which way is north. When I go out snowmobiling with my friend C. he makes it a game to see how lost and confused he can get me... we'll pull up to a four-way path in the woods, everything covered in snow and a sky full of clouds, and he'll ask me, "Where are we now?" Then he laughs when I point the opposite direction of home. 

Today we had a general idea of where the antique store was, and I was pretty confident this weekend was their big open house, but it wasn't until we saw all the cars lined up by the road that we knew we were in the right place. It's an old house converted into a store that is crammed to the gills with vintage everything. Once a year they have a sale and homemade refreshments. We really just go for the refreshments part... they have stollen, danishes, tarts, toffee, rice pudding, crullers, cookies, and any kind of grandmotherly goody you can think of all piled high on a table, waiting to be munched on. For an introvert like me, it is my idea of a perfect party: you can eat as much as you like, there are interesting things to look at, and you don't have to socialize!

Mom forgot to bring her checkbook, so we dug down to the pennies and came up with $4 between us. She bought Dad some caramel puff-corn (if you haven't had it - it beats caramel corn hands down, no kernels). I bought a Campbell's Cooking With Soup cookbook from the 70's, for the sole reason that while skimming the pages I came across a recipe that simply must be shared with all of you:

Creamy Peanut Butter Soup

1 can condensed tomato soup                           Stir soup into peanut butter, a little at a time,
1/4 C peanut butter (chunky or smooth!)     until well blended; add milk. Heat, but do not
1 1/2 soup cans of milk                                       boil; stir occasionally. 3-4 servings.

I almost want to try it, it sounds so hideous. Now, I have had cake made with pork & beans, and I seriously love fudge made with Velveeta cheese, but this is going a little too far. Peanut butter & tomatoes?? Chunky PB? In soup?!!

Ever tried something only to find out it wasn't what you thought, like apple pie made with zucchini, or pickles made from watermelon? I had meatballs at a party once & raved to the hostess how good they were, only to find out they contained raisins... my arch enemy. According to my family, I looked positively ill, which I believe was from having to swallow my pride and admit that I was actually enjoying a... a... raisin. So, learn from this - ask before you eat, but always try with an open mind.

If any of you have had this soup, or get brave enough to make it, please tell us about it! Maybe I'll whip it up one of these fine snowy days and serve it to my family without telling...

No comments:

Post a Comment