Monday, June 10, 2013

Baked Veggie Sticks (Healthy Eating Series)

With the onset of summer, I wanted to start eating more fresh veggies, less packaged foods, and minimal salt use. I based some of my recipes off of a Mediterranean-style diet, but not strictly. Since I'm always trying to think of new things to feed my family, I thought you might appreciate if I shared some of the healthy meal/snack ideas I've come up with in the past two weeks. 

Baked Veggie Sticks:


These are so good and easy to make! Preheat your oven to 42oF, and coat a metal cookie sheet lightly with olive or coconut oil. Slice your preferred veggies into about 3in. sticks - I cut the zucchini in quarters, then cut each quarter in half. For this mix, I used carrots, zucchini, and sweet potato. Put the veggie sticks into a plastic baggie, then drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add in your seasonings, and you can also add about 1/4 cup of cornmeal, or flour, or parmesan cheese. Toss around in the bag until evenly coated, then spread in a single layer on the cookie sheet:


Bake for 10 minutes at 420F, then gently flip/shuffle around. Bake another 10 minutes, or until the veggies are just browning and they are soft (I checked the carrots, since they are the hardest). I had coated mine with parmesan and cornmeal, and it made them delightfully crispy. The sweet potato was voted the best - I just figured out how to make my own sweet potato fries! 

Remember, a little seasoning goes a long way, and be sure to watch the last few minutes so they don't burn. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment