Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Meet Calvin


We just went into the pet store for dog food...

I've always had a soft place in my heart for rats since I was eleven and was convinced to buy one by the Petco associate. It was the best pet I have ever had. Her name was Flower, and after three years she was followed by Galadriel. When we moved to the Big Woods, I sold all of my small furry friends and said my goodbyes. 

Last year, the local pet store move to a new facility that is easier to get to, and we've been frequent visitors to hold the animals and buy dog food. While I was in there today, the store owner's daughter told me that I could have this sweet black and white hooded rat because she just couldn't bear the thought of him becoming snake food, and that was most likely going to be his fate. How could anyone refuse? 

I've named him Calvin, and he is such a sweetie! He sat on my shoulder and supervised me folded laundry today, then he fell asleep in my lap while Mom arranged his cage. Now, I'm watching him run on a bright yellow wheel and search through his food bowl for the best treats. 

Most people think rats are gross, but once you've had one as a pet, you never see them in the same light. They are sweet-tempered, intelligent, cuddly, clean, social, and very laid back. They are always on the alert for a treat or a ride on your shoulder, and their little eyes sparkle with curiosity. Can you tell how much I love them? It's good to have a furry friend of my own again.

Want to see more pictures? Check out the album here!


2 comments:

  1. Wish we a pet. We've only ever had fish - how boring. Just curious here, how did you come up with his name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that is funny, because I didn't choose his name for a particular reason, it just FIT. The name Calvin just seems to bring up a feeling of a good-natured, shy, intelligent individual. Maybe it was a subconscious association based on Calvin O'Keefe in A Wrinkle in Time? Lol who knows!

      If you get a pet, I highly recommend rats! :)

      Delete