Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Plasma Sky Review: Not Your Mama's Galaga

Where to begin? First off, amazement at how far technology has come... as a kid who played the original black and white Zap!2000 on a Palm Pilot, this game is like the fulfillment of every space shooter fantasy I ever had. Cool graphics, slick controls, 80 levels of challenges, three modes, and three styles of touch control; this game is five star. Get it people - it's AWESOME!

No, I haven't been addicted to it for weeks. I first tried it two days ago, and it's one of those games you hate to put down. I wanted to sit and pass every level at one time; it took me two hours, but I finally did! My only complaint about the game is that it doesn't save the level you are on when you leave the game - you start at level one each time. I haven't ventured into the Hardcore or Survival Mode yet, but I can stay interested at the Conquest mode for quite some time. 

This game offers levels that mimic Asteroids, Galaga, and Zap!2000 all rolled into one. On three of the levels, you are in a face-off with the BOSS... survive or die, and you just might kill the bad dude! I also love the little "wingmen" you can pick up along the way; little ships that follow yours and offer another set of laser shots. I've had up to three at a time, and they are really useful on the levels when you are being surrounded by tiny enemy ships going every which way. 

The game is unfortunately no longer free on Amazon, but the $1.99 price is completely worth it - you would have spent somewhere around $20 for this as a computer game ten years ago, and it still wouldn't have been this good!

You can purchase it for Android or Apple devices from the Plasma Sky page

Have you played it? What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. There is a new game on iTunes called 'Orion Nebula'. Like plasma sky it's a shmup with thrilling, colorful space battles accompanied by adrenalin-pumping techno music. It has a 20-level campaign with 14 enemy types offering unique challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for recommending it! I'll have to give it a try. :)

      Delete