Kefir Banana Bread
1 1/3 C. Sugar (we use sucanat)
1/2 C. Butter
1/2 C. Kefir (or sour cream/buttermilk/yogurt)
1 1/4 C. Bananas, mashed - about three average bananas, fyi
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
2 C. Flour
3/4 C. Nuts, chopped
- 12-24 hours beforehand, you can mix the flour and kefir together. Cover and allow the flour to soak.
- Preheat oven to 300F
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, butter, vanilla, eggs, bananas, and nuts.
- Add the kefir/flour mix in gently. Add the baking soda and baking powder and mix until just blended.
- Pour into a greased bread pan (9"x5"), or into several small pans (for nuts/no nut eaters)
- Bake approximately 1.5 hours or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean - exact time will very depending on the size and number of the pans baking.